Birch Grove Schoolhouse
Located on a spur trail, just 1.5 miles from the North Country National Scenic Trail, the Birch Grove Schoolhouse makes an
excellent base for groups out to discover this recreational treasure. It serves as a home away from home for those of us who aren't lucky enough to have
a National Scenic Trail in our backyards and also makes a perfect stopover for weary long-distance hikers.
Even if you're just looking for a site for your next retreat, we encourage you to
check out the NCTA Schoolhouse. We offer on-site trail literature and we can also assist and advise on planning hikes as a part
of your group's activities.
Facilities Available at the Birch Grove Schoolhouse:
|Kitchen:||Double sink, refrigerator, microwave, stove with oven, 30, 12, and 4-cup coffee makers, dishes, cookware, utensils.|
|Meetings:||6 tables, 25 chairs.|
|Overnight:||5 rollaways and 12 mattresses.|
|Restrooms:||One indoor bathroom with toilet, sink, and shower; one outhouse.|
|Outdoors:||Grill, 2 large picnic tables, fire pit with benches, and an open back yard for tent camping.|
- The schoolhouse is only available for rental mid-May through mid-November - we are closed for the winter.
- On-site adult supervision is required for all groups with members that are less than 21 years old.
- Advanced registration is required to use the facility.
- Groups must clean up after themselves or risk being charged a damage fee. This includes sweeping and cleaning tables, sinks, counters, and bathroom.
- The North Country Trail Association is not responsible for theft or loss of personal property on the Schoolhouse premises.
- Those staying overnight must provide their own bedding or sleeping bags, toiletries and towels.
- Alcohol is prohibited on the premises, except by special arrangement.
- No smoking is allowed inside the Schoolhouse or on the front porch.
- No pets other than guide dogs are allowed.
Rates for Rentals (**Increase effective May 2016**):
Daytime Use (8:00am-8:00pm)
$40.00 base rate for up to four hours of use. If the rental is longer than four hours, the fee is $40.00
plus $5.00 for each hour after the fourth hour.
Example: For six hours, the fee would be $40.00 plus $5.00 for the fifth hour plus $5.00 for the sixth
hour. Or $50.00 total.
Overnight Use (Daytime use fees are waived)
$10.00 per night per NCTA member.
$15.00 per night per non-member.
$7.50 per night for children 15 and under.
Minimum charge of $30.00.
Example: if two NCTA members and three non-members stay two nights, the fee would be as follows:
$40.00 for NCTA members ($10.00 x 2 people x 2 nights)
$90.00 for non-members ($15.00 x 3 people x 2 nights)
For a total of $130.00
Special consideration is given to Scout and other youth groups:
- $6.00 per night per Scout or youth group member.
- $10.00 per night per accompanying adults.
Hiking from the Premises:
Birch Grove Trail - The Trail starts and ends at the schoolhouse and forms a 9.1 mile loop between the schoolhouse, Diamond Lake, a Newaygo County recreation area, the Loda Lake Wildflower Sanctuary and the North Country Trail.
A shorter, four to six mile loop is possible by heading east from the schoolhouse on 5 Mile Road, following the Birch Grove Trail to Loda Lake, heading west along the sanctuary’s wildflower walk to the sanctuary entrance on Felch Street, and south on Felch Street back to the schoolhouse.
A map of the trail can be found here.
If you are interested in staying at the Birch Grove Schoolhouse, contact